Date of Birth : 07.09.1925 (Since she borned on Sunday that is
Bhanu vaaram she was named Bhanumathi .
. According to astrological signs Sun was in his
own place that is Swakshetra.
Parents : Bommraju Venkaata Subbayya (Father)
Venkata Subbayya worked as revenue inspector.
Family Life : 3rd August 1943 got married with P. Ramakrishna
& Bharani was only son
Interest in Music : Parents used to sing well . When mother plays on
Harmonium , father joins with Thanpura .
Bhanumathi tells that firtst guru was her father &
great classical singer MS Subbulakshmi as
mentour. Bhanumathi used to sing the songs of
MS Subbulakshmi (Saragunapalimpa, Nitya
Kalyani), Balagandharva (Murthymantha),
Kareem Khan (Jamuna ke theer), Roshanara
Begum , Heerabhai Bhadokar, Narayanaraovyas
at the age of 9 years.
After ahe entered into film field , she learnt Veena
& Sithar for two months. Music director MS Raju
& Janardhan taught her those instruments.
First chance : Actor Govindarajula Subbarao was her father’s
friend. He brought first proposal to act
Bhanumathi as asister of heroine in film
‘Malapilla’. Since Bhanumathi did not sing well
due to fear, she was not selected for that role.
First Film : VARAVIKRAYAM (This was a famous paly
written Kaallakoori Narayana Rao. She acted as
KAALINDI which has created sensation on
Firtst Remuneration : Rs. 150/- per month.
First Song in Films : Palukavemi Naa daivama in Varavikrayam.
This was Thyagaraja Kriti. We can this was firtst
Thyaagaraja Kriti in Telugu Films.
First Tamil Film : RRATNA KUMAR (1946)
First Direction : CHANDI RANI (1953) (in Telugu, Tamil &
First Music Direction : CHAKRAPANI (1954)
As a Methodist : (1) She used to perform ‘Sree charka Pooja’
(2) She learnt ‘Bala Manthram’ from Sringeri
Jagadguru Sankaraacharya (1961) on Maha
(3) She learnt ‘Navaakshari Manthram ‘ also
from same Sankaraacharya on the days of
Devi Navaraathrulu and was asked to do
Saptha shathi paaraayana every day.
(4) She has very good knowledge in Astrology.
(5) She studied ‘Naadee’ Books under the
Supervision of Pandit (Sarma) for a period of
First Story : Marachembu wtitten at the age of 14th.. It was
published in ‘Chitragupta’.
Miles stones in Literary Field : Series of Stories on ‘Atthagaru’ created a
sensation on those days. and She got
KENDRA SAHITHYA ACADEMY AWARD
for those stories.
Similerly she wrote series of stories under the
Publishers of ‘Yuva’ made it a customery
to write a story for year diwali .
She translated Pearlsbuck’s English Novel
‘My Several Worlds’.
Received ‘Swarna Kamalam’ at National level
for her autobiography book ‘Naalo Nenu’
Potti Sreeramulu University selected the same
as the Best Book (1999)
Her Stories on Atthagaru were Transmiited in
Hyderabad Door Darshan.
Same were translated & transmitted in Hindi
as ‘Saas Bahu ki Kahaniya”.
Sweet Memories : (1) Bhanumathi had a small cut on her finger at
the time of shooting of the film
‘Krishnaprema’. Associate director
Rama Krishna (Later became husband)
tied her finger with his kerchief
Another day she won a bet on him with
co-artiste Shantha Kumari . On that day he
Bhanumathi kept that kerchief & Rs,2/-
care fully even to-day.
(2) Famous Bengali film Director Devakibose
was introduced to her through BN Reddy.
He gave Tagore’s Geethanjali to her and
asked her to compose a tune for a poem .
Tune given by her spontaneously was
appreciated by Devaki bose & others.
Bitter Experiences : (1) Missing title role in film ‘Missamma’ with a
small difference of opinion with Chakrapani.
(2) Missing heroin role (Parvathi) in ‘Devdas’.
(3) Due ill health she purposefully left the
heroin role in film ‘Chenchu Lakshmi’after
acting some secenes. Anjalidevi acted that
(4) All India Radio has not transmitted her song
‘Nagumomu Kanaleni’ in Vivaahabandham.
since she has changed Tyagarja krithi.
Awards & Rewards (1) She was the first lady felicitated on first
Andhrapradesh Avatharana dinotsavam
(2) Madras chief Minister Annadurai felicitated
her with the title ‘Nadippukku Ilanakkam’
(Grammer ofor acting) for her performance
in the film ‘Rangoon Raadha’.
(3) She received National awards for her acting
in Annai (Tamil), Anthasthulu (Telugu),
Palnaati yuddham (Telugu).
(4) Her film ‘Anthaa Mana Manchike’ selected
as best film in 1972.
(5) Tamil version of the same (Ippadium Oru
Penn) was appreciated as a best social satire
& best musical film in International
women’s year festivals.
(6) Received Kalaimamani award in 1984 as
(7) Received Rajalakshmi foundation Award
(8) Received Padmasree in 1966.
(9) Received Padmabhushan in 2000.
(10) Received NTR’s National Award in 2004.
(11) Andhra University Given Doctorate in
1975 (International Women’s year)
(12) Sri Venkateswara University given
Doctorate in 1985.
(13) Received Raghupathi Venkayya Award in
(14) Member in Children Film Society for 5
years from 1965.
(15) Member in AP Sahithya Academy for 10
(16) Member in AP Laltha Kala Academy for 5
(17) Madras Branch treasurer for ‘All Troosa
International’ Association for 30 years
(18) As a member in Red Cross Society for 42
(19) State film Award’s committee member for 2
(20) Film Institute’s Visiting Professor for 1 year.
(21) She released her songs as ‘Bhanumathi’s
Chitramaala’ . This experiment was followed
by so many people now.
(22) Nomited by MGR as Pricipal & Director for
Tamilnadu Government Music colledge and
worked for a period of 3 years.
Favourites in film field : Shantharam, Kanchanamaala, Sooryakantham,
S . Varalakshmi, P.Leela.
Bhanumathi - Singer, Actor, Music Director, Producer, Director, Painter, Writer,
Astro Palmist, Studio owner and what not .. she was one and only
one woman in film field. having versatile talent